Friday, July 10, 2009

Zucchini Zucchini Everywhere!!

What to do with all that extra zucchini? Here are two recipes that might make a dent.




Blueberry Zucchini Bread

This first one I made yesterday with help from this recipe. I replaced the last two optional ingredients and added a generous cup of fresh blueberries instead. I poured some into a bread pan and into mini muffin tins. I had Jasper add chocolate chips to the top of the muffins. I added a 1/2 cup of coconut flakes to the rest of the dough and made that into another loaf.





Zucchini Cakes With Basil Garlic Aoili

This is one of my favorite summer time eats. I was introduced to this at a restaurant I worked at. It is simple and delicious. Note: I wing this recipe so what you see below is an approximation.



For the Cakes:

Grate 3 cups of zucchini.... lightly salt, cover with paper towels and set aside in a colander to drain off moisture for an hour or two.

When zucchini is dry combine with :

  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 clove of garlic,minced
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup flour, all-purpose
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • salt ( if you didn't use salt early to help zucchini dry)
  • pepper, black

Cook these like you would a pancake.....heat a pat or two of butter in a skillet and place 1/4 cup of batter in the pan. Brown and flip. Serve with aioli.

Garlic Basil Aoili

Again, winging it!

Place in a food processor:

  • 4-6 fresh basil leaves
  • 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • salt/pepper
  • clove of garlic
  • 1 cup mayonnaise

Blend well. Use leftovers on such things as sandwiches and fried potatoes.

2 comments:

  1. Mia you are another Martha Stewart.

    My zucchini are not doing well Too much rain

    I wonder what we will eat in South America

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia, I just made these tonight! Thanks for sharing your recipe, I think they were a hit! At least I am beginning to make a dent in my zucchini.

    ReplyDelete