Sunday, March 29, 2009

Deep Dish Challenge

With the warmer weather and the end of football season comes a disconnecting of cable in our house. I love this time of minimal t.v. I have to admit we are all going to miss the food network channel. Even Jasper.

The other night was a Deep Dish Pizza Throw Down with Bobby Flay. Apparently Joe loves this style of pizza, while I prefer a thin crispy crust with minimal toppings and lots of sauce. By the end of the show though, I was intrigued enough to give it a shot.
It was pretty fun to make. The crust has a much higher fat content than regular pizza, making it more flaky and rich. I put half of the dough into a spring form cake pan and one into my cast iron skillet (thanks to Brandy for helping me bring my skillet back to life). On Joe's I put a layer of mozzarella, a layer of browned graziano's sausage, mushrooms,garlic,onions, then another layer of cheese and finally I put the sauce on. On mine I put mushrooms, raw garlic, a little cheese and a lot of sauce.
After they baked I topped them both with Parmesan cheese as is supposedly the traditional way of serving a deep dish pizza. The end result was an awesome pizza that Joe said was better than any other deep dish he'd had including his favorite at Felix and Oscar's. And that is the reason I cook.

1 comment:

  1. Yummmm that looks so good! We don't have cable either, but the gym I've been going to has individual TVs on the cardio machines. I've been watching a lot of Food Network! I should probably stop that considering I feel hungry everytime I get done running.... sort of counter productive.

    ReplyDelete