Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bounty

Yesterday was a day of bounty!
It started with a call from my friend begging me to come take some lettuce and spinach off her hands. Apparently her garden was growing faster than her family could consume it. I was happy to oblige. I scored two large bags of lettuce and one of spinach....thanks Traci!
After a quick stop off at the park near our house, we picked up Sylvia and headed over to Brandy's house to cook.
We made homemade pasta then stuffed it with fresh ricotta cheese purchased at Graziano's, mozzarella, fresh herbs from her garden ,parmesan and feta cheese.
I was surprised at how easy it was to make the pasta. Messy, but doable. We used the left over pasta and cheese mixture and some Graziano sausage to make a couple of lasagnas as well.
We also made bread and chocolate chip cookies.





After we finished cooking I went to another friend's house and picked up a very large box of produce and a 2 dozen farm fresh eggs that she scored from another friend's father's farm. (whew! say that ten time's fast)
Since this farm is further south than me the box contained several tomatoes, which I used to make my sauce for the fresh ravioli's.
It has been a little while since I made homemade tomato sauce, so I used this recipe to refresh my memory. It never fails to amaze me how easy it is to make delicious homemade tomato sauce! Granted, Joe hates tomatoes so this dish ended up being more for me than him, but sometimes I have to cook for my taste too.




This picture is of Brandy's finished dinner.....delicious!

7 comments:

  1. OMG! That looks SOOOOOO GOOD. YUM! How can Joe not like tomoatoes? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really really good. I think the leftovers tasted better today even.
    I can't imagine a life without tomatoes. Especially fresh from the garden, still warm, cut up and placed on a slice of bread with mayonaise salt and pepper. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO jealous! That bread looked amazing! Make some bread and make mom take it up to Alaska with her. We can eat it on our road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you think of the bread Mia? It is a good home baked variety, not very "rustic" but good. Everyone in my house really liked the crunch from the millet. Especially good warm with butter and honey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Mia what a cook you have become. You must have hunters and gatherers for ancestors as you have great luck finding food.

    I am a little curious about the tomatoes.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Micole - I'll see what I can do

    Brandy - Infact, no one liked the bread but me. I love the crunchy texture and I'm thinking of making the whole in the bread with an egg dish for breakfast. I think it will be tasty in that.

    Grandma - I've been inspired my whole life by your ability to cook. Some of my most fond memories are in you kitchen, eating with you and grandpa.
    love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its pretty sad when your grandma updates her blog more than you :)

    ReplyDelete