Monday, September 29, 2008

Your dinner for tomorrow

Last night I made stew and warmed up homemade bread to go with it.



Both were very tasty. I had really wanted to make the stew in the crockpot and tried for the last several days but I over analyzed it and never even got it started. So, the meat needed to be used and I opted to make it on the stove, which according to the recipe I very loosely followed, was going to take 3 hours to cook. Great. I'm home for three hours at a time. No , actually I'm not. Luckily though I managed to figure this one out and it was a delicious thick hearty stew. You should make it.






Beef Stew

1 1/2 lbs stew meat
flour
salt
pepper
spike
4 cups water
1 bottle brown ale- I used Fat Tire
1/2-1 tbs better than bullion-I used chicken 'cause that's what I had
3 carrots diced
2 large potatoes cubed
can of corn drained or frozen corn
olive oil about 2 tbs
onion chopped
garlic sliced or minced your preference
bay leaf
tarragon


Place stew meat in ziplock bag and beat with a meat tenderizer. This step isn't essential but your stew will suck if you don't do it. Just saying.

After you beat your meat, add about a 1/4 cup flour to the bag as well as some salt and pepper. Seal and shake to coat.

Heat oil in a dutch oven.

Add onions saute for about 2 minutes then add the garlic, cooking for another 2 or 3 minutes. The point isn't to carmalize just to make aromatic.

Add meat including the flour and brown- you may need a little more oil here

After the meat browns add the beer. Stir to break up any pieces stuck on bottom and let boil for a few minutes to burn of the alcohol.

Add the rest of the ingredients, I always eyeball my seasonings, use your judgement here.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours.


Serve with:




I used an egg wash and salt to give it a nice crust.


2 comments:

  1. I think I'll try that stew recipe! Especially, now that it has snowed and is cold outside....a stew would be perfect. Sundance and I still need your recipe for no-knead bread. Please share :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to believe your dealing with snow already. I hope we get a month or two before are first snow. There is a link to the bread on the post. Gretchen uses a similar recipe and she puts hers in a crock(cast iron?) to cook. I do too sometimes.

    ReplyDelete